Sunday, February 6, 2011

Polenta Chili Casserole

1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups boiling water
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
3 cans (15oz each) vegetarian chili with beans
1 pkg (16oz) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and well drained

1) In a large saucepan, combine cornmeal and salt. Gradually whisk in boiling water. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1/4 cup cheddar cheese until melted.
2) Spread into a 13x9in baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350F for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat chili according to package directions.
3) Spread vegetables over polenta; top with chili. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. 

Review:  My mother-in-law sent me this recipe not too long and I was just waiting for the right time to make it.  It seemed like a good Super Bowl Sunday kind of meal, even though we weren't going to watch the game.  Mike bought two cans of 'medium' chili and one can of 'spicy' chili.  I love spicy foods, but it's out of character for him.  I found this recipe to be super easy to make and really didn't take very long (I didn't even bother thawing the vegetables!).  It looked like a molten mess when I pulled it out of the oven, and even worse when I served it up.  But the flavor makes up for it. This was incredibly delicious!!  It was made even yummier by Mike's idea to serve it up with his favorite Mexican sour cream.  Yum!!!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad it turned out good. I'm going to make it soon too. We love chili.

    ReplyDelete